Off to Oklahoma

TulsaThis was a job that almost didn’t happen. I did a phone screen for for a job in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma nearly 3 months ago, and they didn’t get back to me for long enough that I figured they had lost interest. I continued my job search and got a local contract, or so I thought. That local contract got pushed to the back burner because the client was going through a merger with a Japanese company, and things like hiring and getting stuff done wasn’t really top-of-mind at the time, so I continued my job search. The folks in Oklahoma came back and asked me to come up and interview in person. I initially told them I had landed a local contract, but then the start date on that got pushed out again, so I called the folks in Oklahoma and asked them if they would still like to talk to me — and, much to my surprise, they said yes.

So, I went out up to Broken Arrow and interviewed. I really liked the place. The job was similar to stuff I did (and liked) at Presagis back before Presagis imploded. It’s also a big enough and profitable enough company that I don’t think I have to worry about it folding out from under me (like Sequel Systems, Desktop Consulting, CompUSA, and Presagis all did — boy, can I pick ’em or what?).

They told me that would get back to me in a few days. A few days passed, and then a few more… So I assumed that wasn’t going to happen, either. Meanwhile, the folks with the local contract came up with a firm start date. Since I hadn’t heard from Broken Arrow, I went ahead and started.

A week later, the folks in Oklahoma called up and made me an offer.

A good offer. I agonized over it for a couple of days, then accepted. Monday (yesterday, as I write this), I went for the mandatory drug test.  Of course, it came back clean, verifying to my new employer that I don’t use any illegal recreational pharmaceuticals. I also gave the contract shop notice. I was obligated to give two weeks, and I gave three.

The head of the department where I was temporarily contracting in Irving came by today about 10 minutes prior to quitting time, and told me that I needed to leave my badge with the receptionist on the way out. That actually works better, since we have a lot to do in order to get out of the house and get it ready to sell. And move, and get settled, etc.

So, I really am on my way to Oklahoma for my new job at Flight Safety International. It’s just now starting to sink in. This is one of the major upheavals in my life, on the same order of magnitude as when I left home as a teen for college, when I joined the Navy, when I got out of the Navy, when I got married, when I graduated from college and moved to Dallas, when my daughter was born, and a few others…

For the first time ever, I’m going to have a driver’s license from a state other than Texas.

UrgentRequirementOh, and I should mention… When it rains, it pours.

Oops, gotta go… my phone is ringing…

Leave a Reply